Magento 2 is the enterprise version of Magento Community.
- It’s now possible for multiple admin users to create and update products on your site, without increasing data conflicts.
- Full-page cache now supported. Page load times are now 1-2 secs, rather than 5-10 secs.
- Developers can make changes to the shop’s code without affecting other areas of code.
- Modularised search interface. This makes it easier to customise search functions. Magento 2 also allows for 3rd party search interfaces.
- Themes are easier to customise.
- You don’t need to customise the core code to make it responsive.
- The newly designed interface means you don’t have to spend as long managing your store and can focus on other things.
Upgrading and integration improvements
- The installation and upgrades process has been simplified and is speedier.
- Integrations with apps such as PayPal and Braintree make it easier for customers to make a purchase, without having to input down specific details, or sign up.
Testing and coding
- Clean modern code.
- Developers can automate functional testing.
- Allows you to separate your databases. You can have one MySQL database for content, category and product pages and another database for checkout pages.
- Guest check-out is assumed and automatic unless otherwise stated.
- Streamlined checkout process.
- You no longer have to choose credit card type.
Magento 2 works on a revenue-based system, whereby the amount you pay depends on how much revenue your store takes.
Things to know:
- Integrates with Fedex, UPS, DHL and USPS
- Serves more than 200,000 merchants globally
Because the architecture of Magento 2 is so different from Magento 1, it might prove difficult to migrate easily from 1 to 2, unless you plan ahead. The team at Magento provide store owners with tools to simplify the transition.
Magento 2.0 will be most useful for eCommerce stores who are used to the refined platform with the resources available to deal with the development and security.